The BYO Challenge is an Instagram based campaign to bring visibility to bring-your-own-container (byoc) practices in Metro Vancouver where the contributors are community members. It is co-organized by @byovancouver and @byo.app — two organizations that are passionate about promoting reuse. Goals of this campaign include:
- Inspire viewers to byoc by sharing stories and posts about other people’s byoc trips
- Act as a hub for byoc places in Metro Vancouver where people can both reference and contribute
- Tangibly create consumer demand for byoc so more businesses will be comfortable promoting the practice
How do I participate?
- Go to a favourite business that accepts byoc (think cafe, restaurant, bakery, deli counter) and make a purchase with your reusable cup/containers. Document your trip with photos and/or videos.
- Share your trip on Instagram as a story or post. See below for text ideas.
- Tag @byovancouver and the business.
And that’s it! Then, @byovancouver will put your story or post into their Highlights or Guides. Over time, these Highlights and Guides will be filled with byoc trips from different people and different businesses – acting as byoc info hubs.
Here are some things you may consider writing about in your story/post:
- Tips for an easy byoc trip
- Shoutout to the business for being byoc friendly
- Why you choose to byoc
- Encourage viewers to participate in the BYO Challenge
- Use #showusBYO, #ibringmyown, #byohero
We look forward to seeing your byoc trips!